There should be a support group for the families of resident physicians. I am so glad to be able to say we are on the home stretch...one year left. Last night we attended the somewhat anti-climactic good-bye dinner and roast of the graduating 4th year residents in hubby's program. After all it takes to survive these four years it seems like they should do something more formal than a buffet dinner at a cheesy athletic club...but I digress.
I am grateful for all the personal growth we are gaining here in Iowa. I am thankful for a great program, great insurance, and great people....but there are a lot of things I will not miss. I will not miss putting nearly all of my interests on hold because this is the season to support hubby and be there every second for our kiddos because he can't be. I listened to the musical "Kiss Me Kate" the other day and was singing along....I thought, "Wow, I'm not bad." I miss performing so much. It is like I have had to become a new person for this season of our lives...and I miss those other parts of me.
I will not miss the humidity or the -35 degree winters. I will not miss the feeling of being in a temporary place. I will also not miss living somewhere that, generally speaking, doesn't observe Sunday as the sacred day I do. Everything happens on Sunday here! It drives me crazy. I won't miss month long rotations when hubby works at night. I won't miss wiping tears from my 4 year olds face when I tell him Daddy is on call again this weekend and won't be home until tomorrow. I won't miss feeling like a single parent.
Now I know that life after residency won't be always rosy and perfect, but I have it on good authority that it improves dramatically.
So if you ask me if I'm glad we are almost done with residency...Don't be surprised if I tear up...we are almost there. Let the 4th year begin!!!!

9 comments:
Congrats on making it this far. I know it's been a long hard road. I hope things go well for you and your family this year!
And we can't wait for you to be back! We are already planning which relay races we want to do next year (NOT RAGNAR!!) and including you in by default. Hope you're prepared! ;) We also can't wait to meet our new little niece.
I can relate a little bit. Although my hubby's not in med school/residency, I know what it means to sacrifice your interests to support a hubby's career. :)
I can't wait to do a relay with you guys! Maybe we can get Ryan in on the craziness too.. I also can't wait to show off little Savvy, she is a doll :0)
Anna, great to hear from you. What we do for love huh? I feel a song coming on...
There is no way I could do this without you. I love you honey. Life will be better soon. I am excited about all the possibilities for a practice @ home. And I can't wait to see you on stage again!! My Unsinkable
I definitely think Ryan should join in! We're looking at doing the Rivalry Relay (I posted about it before but I can send you a link if you want) and some of those legs are only a mile long. That's not to insinuate that Ryan is out of shape. I just don't know how in shape he is. *laugh*
Oh, I lied. The shortest legs are 2 miles, but that's still definitely doable for beginning level runners.
Hang in there. I promise things do get better. I've really enjoyed finding hobbies for myself again the last couple years now that Jason is done with training and the kids are a little bigger. Of course as a doctor's wife you'll never know the luxury of 40 hour work weeks for your husband but it does get much better than residency! And by they way, I don't miss residency but I really miss Iowa. My son was doing his state report on Iowa this year and I got so homesick going through all the pictures with him so enjoy your last year!
Way to go, you guys! I'm so proud of you and Ryan! And I hope we'll be in town when you're back in Utah.
Post a Comment