Me....what about me? Here I am... A daughter, a sister, a mother, a wife. Some of the more serious roles. And then an actor, a singer, a dancer, a baker, a candle stick maker....okay that last one is a lie, just wanted to see if you were paying attention.
I grew up in Utah...loved every minute of it. The variety of beautiful scenery everywhere you look. The Jazz. The focus on family. When you say "The ward" or "The stake center" everyone knows what you are talking about. The choices of radio stations and restaurants and entertainment. I now live in Iowa.....a smallish area 2 hours from the Capitol of Des Moines. There are no decent radio stations here.
The Midwest is an interesting place. The weather alone has nearly killed us. We arrived two days before the river crested in the floods of 2008. There was a guy canoeing down the street about a half mile from our new house...seriously. Summer's humidity was flabbergasting...Utah is very dry...I think now I like dry. Winter's 30 below zero temps were also an eye opener. But they have lots of bald eagles here, and pretty wild flowers.
The places I have lived/been are a part of who I am. I miss home very much, but I am grateful for all the learning experiences I am having here.
Back to me.... I was in a a school play in 4th grade..."The Wizard of Oz" and it was a revelation...I loved being on stage. I have been in dozens of musical theater productions and comedies and even a TV commercial or two. In college I discovered I also loved to dance. As a child, being one of 10 children, there was no money for lessons of any kind. College showed me Tap and Ballet and Jazz. I loved it all.
Sadly there is no decent live theater in these parts. I haven't belted a show tune, or made a crowd laugh for over two years!!! Agony! So last year I took a Zumba class.....basically dance for exercise. Totally fun. I went out on a limb and got certified to teach. I thought that was pretty brave. Then I was blessed to get a gig teaching at the gym I go to..... I am now on stage three times a week. Dancing and making people sweat....Oh the power! :0) Since my surgery I am obviously not teaching Zumba, that might make me explode. Hopefully I will be back at it an another week. People have called me "feisty" in the past, maybe that will work to my advantage.
I left behind family, friends, nice weather, world class theater, a plethora of dining options and radio stations...all I knew
I gained... yards without sprinkler systems (it rains so hard here nobody needs them) soil that will grow anything, beautiful wild life (there are bunnies in my back yard right now), tornado sirens, and fire flies. Being away from "Home" has made me appreciate it so much more "I'll go where you want me to go dear Lord"
Saturday, May 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
It's so nice to learn more about you...I had no idea that you did that much performing.
http://www.iowacitycommunitytheatre.com/home.html
http://www.riversidetheatre.org/
http://www.oldcreamery.com/
Natalie,
These are the three theaters in the area. If you keep an eye on their websites they will announce show times, and even audition dates and details if you are interested.
Just thought you'd like to know.
Hey Margaret. Thanks. I have looked at those theaters but they don't tend to do things that are up my alley. The creamery one is pretty far and they use a set company to do their entire season I believe.
Post a Comment