and creating daughter plants...they had doubled what we started with. Still, I wasn't impressed until I saw all those blooms. We might really have some berries this time! Our three year old always remembers to ask a blessing on the strawberries when he says his prayers. A few prayers, a little compost, and occasional weeding was all it took. We picked so many berries today I was inspired to make up a recipe to use them. This picture is what we picked the first day....today there were three times this many...amazing stuff to a non farmer like myself....and now, the recipe. At first I wanted to make a traditional strawberry shortcake type thing, but there were no milk free, egg free shortcakes out there.....I really checked. So I was walking down the baking isle in the store when I saw a box mix for "apple crisp". I have made that before from scratch, substituting the real butter for something sans dairy. So I decided to make a sort of trifle, with crumble "topping" going in place of pound cake. Bubba-do could have soy whip cream (not too terrible ) and the rest of us could enjoy the real thing....Here goes.Strawberry Delight
- 1 pound strawberries washed and sliced
- 1/3 cup sugar
Crumble
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup quick oats
- 1/2 cup melted butter (or allergen free margarine)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla
Whipped Cream
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Wash and slice strawberries. Mix berries with 1/3 cup sugar and set aside.
- Pour heavy whipping cream into chilled bowl of mixer and whip at medium speed. Add 1/2 cup sugar gradually. Whip until desired thickness (not too long, it will start turning to butter!) Taste and add more sugar if needed.
- Prepare crumble by mixing brown sugar, flour, oats, melted butter, cinnamon and vanilla with a fork until it resembles coarse crumbs ( a.k.a. "little pieces" ) set aside in fridge for better texture.
- Layer ingredients in a dish in this order : crumble, strawberries, whipped cream etc...
Enjoy this wonderful taste of summer!
I can proudly say I made up this recipe, and it is delicious!

3 comments:
This sounds great. We haven't planted anything at my house yet, but there are a few raspberry bushes in the back that are doing their best.
Oh yummy! Thanks for sharing--I will definitely try this. I am a non-farmer too, and am always amazed when anything grows for me. Enjoy your berries!!
Sounds delicious! Your berries did waay better than ours did last year down here in Memphis. Any berries that started to grow were quickly eaten by the birds or squirrels! I even put fake snakes in there to scare them away, but alas, that trick didn't work.
Enjoy your treat and enjoy the berries! :)
Post a Comment